Q - Where does the name Yon-Ka come from?
The philosophy that Yon-Ka is based on is embodied in this name, which is a combination of 2 words:
- YON: a river with rapid and purifying water, as well as the phonetic homonym " ion ", meaning an energy particle
- KA: in ancient Egypt, Ka signifies the vital and eternal force that is inherent in each individual
Yon-Ka: a name that is symbolic of natural and constant regeneration.
Q - Why aren't Yon-Ka products sold on all distribution channels?
We take great care in formulating and manufacturing our products, and are thus extremely concerned with the high quality customer service and pertinent advice that each client is entitled to in a point of sale. In light of this fact, we have chosen to work with a network of professional estheticians that we have carefully selected and regularly train in the use of our products and treatments.
In the beauty clinics and spas that offer the Yon-Ka line, you will find estheticians who listen to you, analyze your skin and personally recommend products and individualized treatments that best correspond to your skincare needs. This is also the opportunity to treat yourself to a relaxing moment of complete well-being as well as physical and mental harmony in the aromatic world of Yon-Ka. Beauty starts from within...
Q - Are Yon-Ka products natural?
Yes, Yon-Ka Paris products are natural based. Please refer to the side of the retail box for the percentage of ingredients of natural origin. 70% of the line has 90% or higher ingredients of natural origin. Yon-Ka holds itself to strict standards and has been self-regulating our usage of natural ingredients for years.
Q - Where do the plants, used in the Yon-Ka products, come from?
A plant is a living organism and its characteristics vary according to its botanical species as well as its geographical origins, climate, etc… This is why the approximately one hundred plants used in the Yon-Ka products come from several countries around the world. The 5 Quintessence essential oils that are used in the composition of numerous Yon-Ka products are an example of this:
- lavender (lavandula vera) and cypress (cupressus sempervirens), which come from the Provence region (France),
- geranium (pelargonium graveolens), which comes from Egypt,
- thyme (thymus vulgaris) and rosemary (rosmarinus officinalis with cineole), which come from Morocco.
Each essential oil, and each botanical or marine extract is chosen based on its properties as well as other extremely precise criteria. These raw materials are subject to strict laboratory testing, prior to their use, in order to ensure optimal quality and stability.
Q - Are Yon-Ka products vegan and/or vegetarian?
No. Yon-Ka Paris sometimes supports the botanical extracts and essential oils in our formulas with proteins. For example: milk peptides, marine collagen, etc.
Q - Are Yon-Ka products gluten free?
No. In some of Yon-Ka Paris formulas, we use wheat and barley. Please refer to the ingredient list on the side of the retail packaging.
Q - Are Yon-Ka products paraben free?
With the new face of Yon-Ka, Yon-Ka Paris is moving to becoming paraben free. The goal is to be 100% paraben free by the end of 2014. Relatedly, 21 of the Yon-Ka products are preservative free due to their concentrate of essential oils and their fragments and naturally self-preserve.
Q - I have heard that fruit acids can be aggressive to the skin. Is this true?
For numerous years, AHA (alpha-hydroxyl-acids), commonly called fruit acids, have been used by our Laboratories for their moisturising properties. Thanks to their ability to eliminate dead skin cells and activate cellular renewal, they have also been added to cosmetology products over the past few years.
Their effectiveness is determined by their nature, acidity level and concentration. In low concentrations, AHA are excellent moisturisers that restore softness and suppleness to the skin. When used in higher concentrations and in an acidic medium, AHA show greater skin exfoliating power. In the highest concentrations, AHA are strictly used for medical purposes. Given this fact, it is essential that an accurate dosage of this ingredient be used for optimal cutaneous softness, combined with the expert advice of a specialist.
Yon-Ka offers a complete and well-balanced program, to be used in accordance with your own skincare needs:
- FRUITELIA, a protective emulsion with fruit acids (cane sugar, bilberry, maple, lemon, orange) grafted to almond proteins, to be used all year round for gentle and progressive skin regeneration action, without risks of irritation.
- ALPHA-COMPLEX is used for increasingly intensive skin regeneration, and contains pineapple, passion fruit, lemon and grape extracts. To be applied in the evening, for a 4-week intensive treatment.
- At the beauty clinics and spas, the ALPHA-VITAL treatment combines exfoliation, nourishment and moisture-replenishment for progressive and well-balanced skincare. Your Yon-Ka esthetician will advise you on the most suitable treatment program for your skin.
Q - Are Yon-Ka products safe during pregnancy?
Yes. Yon-Ka products are safe and effective during pregnancy. We recommend following the obstetricians advice regarding any contraindications.
Q - How often should I receive a skincare treatment in a beauty clinic?
If it is reasonable, and of course, enjoyable, to regularly visit your esthetician, there are no set rules concerning frequency. However, it is better to make an appointment at least once a month and follow the home care program that has been specially recommended for you. In times of stress, as well as physical and mental fatigue, you will undoubtedly require skincare treatments and expert advice on a more regular basis. In certain cases (such as a slimming treatment), your esthetician will recommend more frequent treatment programs. Again, she will be able to advise you according to your own individual needs. And don't forget that we have developed different treatment programs that last 15 min., 35min. and 1 hour or more, so that you may fully benefit from these highly privileged moments of pleasure and beauty-enhancement, which is, of course, of utter importance!
Q - Are Yon-Ka products tested on animals ?
Yon-Ka products are not tested on animals, the safety tests are carried out according to alternative methods. In vivo tests were carried out on human volunteers under medical supervision:
- clinically tested means that tolerance tests and / or efficacy were performed on humans under the supervision of a Medical Investigator;
- dermatologically tested means that these tests were performed on humans under the supervision of a Physician Dermatologist
Here are the efficacy tests faced by Yon-Ka products before they are launched on the market:
- The tests are conducted on selected groups and with objective & measurable techniques
The selection of candidates, size of the panel and duration of the test depend on the product claim and recommendation of use.
A few examples:
- appraisal and measurement of the non comedogenic impact of the cream (measure of the potential triggering and appearance of comedons (aka: black heads): the test is done with a minimum of 20 volunteers presenting combination to oily skin, acne prone, evaluated day 1 and after 4 weeks of using the product in standard conditions.
- Measure of hydration levels
- Measure of the exfoliating and clarifying effectiveness
- Measure of the firming effect
- Measure of the wrinkle depth
- Etc …
- Tests on cellular cultures in order to validate actives performance
- Tests on epidermis models, reconstructed pigmented epidermis from different ethnic origins
- Tests on human transcutaneous explants taken during surgery and maintained alive – (ex. : test done for the Advanced Optimizer Cream and proving the anti MMP1 effectiveness)
- Consumer tests
Conducted on 10 to 150 consumers theses tests allow a better understanding and appraisal of the assets or weak points of a product, and the actual relevance of the product to the consumer’s needs and expectations. The products are then developed accordingly.